Top 10 deefits of SAP HANA
The SAP HANA database is capable of much more than simply storing, serving, and delivering a single source of truth. The following are the top ten advantages of SAP HANA (both on premises and with SAP HANA Cloud).
1. Comprehensive: Database services, complex analytical processing, application development, and data integration are all included in one package.
2. Quick: In big production applications, it responds to queries in less than a second.
3. Versatile: Supports a variety of data types and mixed transactional and analytical processing.
4. Efficient: Reduces data silos and provides a lower data footprint with no data duplication and superior compression.
5. Powerful: Uses a massively parallel processing (MPP) database to quickly query enormous datasets.
6. Scalable: In a distributed context, it easily scales for data volume and concurrent users.
7. Versatile: Can be deployed in a public or private cloud, numerous clouds, on-premises, or in a hybrid environment.
8. Convenient: Provides a single point of access to all of your data with advanced data virtualization.
9. Intelligent: Includes built-in machine learning that enhances applications and analytics (ML)
Secure: Provides extensive data and application security, as well as secure setup.
SAP HANA Architecture
Design of the database
SAP HANA is an in-memory, columnar, massively parallel processing database that can handle both transactional and analytical workloads on a single platform. It organises data in columns, stores it in high-speed memory, and splits and distributes it over several servers. This provides faster queries than aggregate data and avoids expensive full-table scans.
ACID conformity: Assists in meeting all requirements for the ACID (Atomicity, Consistency, Isolation, and Durability) standards.
Multi-tenancy: Allows numerous tenant databases to share memory and processors in a single system. For optimal security and control, each tenant database has its own database users, catalogue, repository, data files, and log files.
Multi-tier storage and persistent memory support: To optimise performance and storage costs, various software solutions manage multi-temperature data (hot, warm, and cold). The SAP HANA Cloud Data Lake’s native storage extension is a built-in feature for effectively managing data between memory and persistent storage. More information on SAP HANA permanent memory can be found here.
Scalability: Supports terabytes of data on a single server and scales even farther over numerous servers in a cluster by implementing a shared-nothing architecture. Large tables are automatically distributed over various servers based on rules.
The History of SAP HANA
SAP HANA was announced in 2010, and a pre-release version was shipped to select customers in November of that year. The first official version, SAP HANA 1.0, attained the first ten go-live customers.
By 2012, SAP started announcing products for cloud computing with the SAP HANA Cloud PaaS (Platform-as-a-Service). SAP HANA becomes the fastest growing product in SAP history with 345 customers.
The SAP HANA Enterprise Cloud service was announced in 2013 to provide customers with a managed private cloud offering for SAP HANA. Now 3,000 customers and 520K+ end-users strong.
SAP sets the Guinness World’s record for largest data warehouse at 12.1 petabytes (PB). That amount could store the entire printed content of all academic research libraries (2 Petabytes) 6 times over.
Released SAP HANA 2.0 and SAP S/4HANA ERP system written specifically for the SAP HANA platform – introducing a whole new set of users to the database. Recognised as a leader by Forrester in The Forrester Wave™: In-Memory Database Platforms, Q3 2015.
Recognised as the #1 leader in the new Forrester Wave™: Translytical Data Platforms, Q4 2017 providing a unified and integrated data platform that simultaneously supports many types of workloads including transactional, operational, and analytical in real time.
Through co-innovation, SAP becomes the first major database optimised for Intel® Optane™ persistent memory
Announced SAP HANA Cloud as SAP’s next-generation data platform-as-a-service. SAP HANA runs on all SAP’s hyperscaler partners’ platforms.
SAP HANA turned 10 in 2020. Launched SAP HANA Cloud to deliver the next generation of innovation of SAP HANA.