The data platform that helps turn data into action for Observability, IT, Security and more.
The Splunk platform removes the barriers between data and action, empowering observability, IT and security teams to ensure their organizations are secure, resilient and innovative. Founded in 2003, Splunk is a global company — with over 7,500 employees, 850 patents and availability in 21 regions around the world — and offers an open, extensible data platform that supports shared data across any environment so that all teams in an organization can get end-to-end visibility, with context, for every interaction and business process. Build a strong data foundation with Splunk.
What makes Splunk different?
This course introduces students to machine data and how Splunk can be used to investigate and respond to incidents in their organisations using operational intelligence.
- What is machine data and where does it come from?
- Operational Intelligence’s Role
- Splunk’s key features.
- Splunk’s user interface is introduced.
- Searching Fundamentals
- Searching with fields
- The fundamentals of search
- Command transformation
- Making visualisations
- Creating dashboards and reports
- Identifying Knowledge Object Type
- Splunk elements
- Splunk’s basic features
- Define Splunk Apps
- Understand Splunk user roles
- Searching & Reporting app
- Splunk Web interface
- Run basic searches
- Set the time range of a search
- Save search results
- Identify the contents of search results
- Work with events
- Share search jobs
- Export search results
- Select search modes
- Control a search job.
Topic 4 – Exploring Events
- Refine searches
- Understand timestamps
- Use the events tab to add and remove terms from a search.
- Use wildcards to search for multiple terms
- Understand case sensitivity in searches
- Use booleans to include and exclude search criteria
- Use special character with search terms.
Topic 7 – What Are Knowledge Objects?
- Identify the five categories of knowledge objects:
- Data interpretation
- Data classification
- Data enrichment
- Data normalization
- Data models
- Understand types of knowledge objects.
- Save a search as a report
- Edit reports
- Use transforming commands to create visualizations
- Create a dashboard
- Add a report to a dashboard
- Edit a dashboard.